Jasmine Burns, a senior recruiter at Duo Security, was our guest speaker for last week's meeting. She talked about how our LinkedIn profile and resume can set us up for success in whatever career we want.

One key thing that stood out to me during her presentation was that she used an analogy that LinkedIn is your walking resume. She stressed about bragging your wins and making network connections with the people around you. She said to really get your LinkedIn profile as professional and up to date as you can. Ask professors or co-workers to constantly be checking your resume and LinkedIn to make sure you appear to be a good candidate. List any sort of big or small achievements you've fulfilled. Join groups on LinkedIn. Fill your profile with key words so you'll appear in searches more often. 

Jasmine Burns lecture was engaging and extremely helpful. 

Personally, I was always shy about my resume and LinkedIn profile. I didn't start gaining any sort of work experience till this year! My first job ever was in April and shortly after, my first ever internship started in June. Throughout my college career, I would never want to bring up anything related to my resume or setting up a LinkedIn profile. It haunted me for the longest time but now I can finally get over that phase. Once you start gaining experience, you don't ever want to stop. Well, that's just me. Once I got my first job earlier this year, I regretted not having jobs even in high school to build my career foundation. However, I've been fortunate enough to gain so much knowledge about the work and internship life within the past few months and I wouldn't take that for granted. After hearing her speak at the last meeting, I've been editing my LinkedIn profile more and making sure I'm staying connected with the people I meet. 

Comments

Popular Posts