My Food Account Journey

One of the most common questions I get asked about my food account is how I got started. Multiple people from Spark also raised the question on what inspired me to create a food account. I never really had a thought out answer to this question, nor is it a very exciting story. However, my journey the past year is story I love to tell.

I made my food account September 16th, 2016. Why? Because I was bored one Friday night so why not. I'm always eating out so why not document it. The first couple weeks of my food account, I was so incredibly anxious. I only told a couple of my closest friends because I felt my account was just meaningless. I didn't think people would actually take the time to look through my pictures or even follow my account. It took me a good month to build the courage and finally promote myself on my personal account about my food account. Spreading the word about my food account was way out of my comfort zone. I've always been introverted growing up so putting my name and content out for the public to see was mortifying for me. Soon enough, the feedback I was getting was overwhelming... in the best way possible. I had such supportive people from the start pushing me to make my food account the best of the best. The word started spreading like wild fire that I had this food account so I knew I had to keep up my work for my audience. Almost a year later and I have close to 900 followers, restaurants inviting me to promote their food on my account, getting to know restaurant owners personally, being featured on Spoon University's website, and having people refer to me as "the girl with the instagram food account." As cliche as this sounds, I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for my followers. Some of the most random people I've met in my life are the most loyal followers I could ever have. My followers give me motivation to create the best food content I can and without them, I wouldn't be where I am.

With all this being said, I give you some of the best tips and advice that I got from this journey:
1. Don't be afraid to start something you're hesitant about. Whether it's starting a new website or creating a new product. If you have the right support group who understands your vision, anything is possible. There's no better motivation to do something if your support system has your back through thick and thin.
2. Be open to feedback and constructive criticism. Even though in the very beginning I was too scared to ask for comments about my account, I've gotten to be very open about it months later. Listen to what your followers have to say, they're your audience and you're catering to them. Stick to originality, but don't be afraid to ask people "what ways could I improve my content?" "what type of food do you want to see on my account?" The only way your account will become successful is to get feedback from your followers.
3. BE CONSISTENT. omg. This is the biggest tip I can give someone who starts an instagram page, a youtube channel, or a blog. Stay very consistent with your content. Make a schedule and stick to it. Post 2 videos a week on certain days. Post 5x a week on your instagram account on these days. Staying consistent with your work will prove that you're serious about your work and people will find it admirable and will actually be more attentive in your work. Not being consistent = a huge decrease in followers. Staying consistent with your work will show immense growth on your social media platform.
4. Engage with your followers. This ties in with feedback slightly but make sure you're constantly engaging with your followers on your account. Reply back to their comments they left on your page. Comment on their photos. Like all their posts. This is a great way for you to be recognized in whatever community you're serving to.

Comments

Popular Posts