Working at a Startup: Yay or Nay?

I wouldn't have ever pictured my first internship to be with a startup. I've always envisioned myself working in a corporate setting with my own cubicle surrounded by many people in a fast paced environment. Working at a startup has taught me a lot not only about the company but also about myself. Here are some of the things I've realized throughout my internship at a startup:

1. Your co workers and boss are learning just as much as I am

2. Learn to be patient. Not everything will run smoothly. There's going to be bug problems, coding problems, etc.

3. Get to know your co workers and be comfortable with them. Chances are, there's only a few of you on the team so you want to develop good relationships with them. It wasn't until the end of July where I started to get to know my co workers and boss a lot better and became more myself around them.

4. Except projects to be thrown at you left and right. Coming in, I had in mind that I would be given a set project to work on for the remainder of the summer. NOPE. I'll work on new projects almost every week, maybe every few days. Things work at a much faster pace so be prepared to work diligently at all times.

5. Give your input on new ideas. I think this is one of my favorite parts about working at a startup. In a corporate setting, it'll take a very long time for an idea to get pitched, even if it does go through. In a startup, you can throw new ideas here and there and your co workers and boss will take it into consideration immediately.

6. Once the development process is complete and you begin working on the content/marketing part, you'll see so much growth that it's rewarding. The growth I've seen since the first day has been tremendous and it's very satisfying to see how much the company has done in our markets.

Comments

Popular Posts